Your role as a Data Scientist will be centred around developing and implementing data science solutions for our suite of real estate products and services.
The ideal candidate will have a high level of mathematical and statistical expertise, along with natural curiosity and a creative mind – when working with data your mind should be asking questions, trying to connect the dots, and uncover hidden opportunities for realizing the data’s full potential. Additionally, you should also possess a genuine passion for data, machine-learning, and research.
As a Data Scientist you will be a key member of the data team and will collaborate closely with product owners, the engineering team, and the market intelligence and research team.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
Your role on the data team will primarily be spread over five core areas:
- Price Indices – monitor the monthly build and audit outputs; review and propose updates to methodology and algorithms; lead the creation of new indices.
- Automated Valuation Models (AVM) – work on our industry-leading AVM on an ongoing basis ensuring the models constantly evolve; monitor and present reports of the AVM’s performance against key industry benchmarks.
- Cluster Analysis – analyze supply and demand patterns, community data, consumer data, economic data, and various market indicators to differentiate the performance of properties across market segments.
- GIS Location Analysis – use our wealth of spatial property data to understand, analyze, and visualize locality intelligence.
- Forecasting & Predictive Analytics – use time series forecasting and predictive analytics to build models that predict potential future market trends.
Additional key responsibilities include:
- Performing extensive exploratory data analysis on large and diverse datasets to identify patterns, trends, and relationships, and ultimately generate high-quality data and relevant hypotheses.
- Following best practices, create, train, and deploy well-designed ML/AI and heuristic models
- Writing, reviewing, and debugging code for complex projects
- Assisting in the creation and update of internal and external presentations, including the production of charts, maps, and other data visualizations
- Continuously stay up-to-date with and researching approaches, techniques, and algorithms for data processing
- Work closely with a multi-functional team to understand business requirements, design, develop and integrate solutions into our products, platforms, and services
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong knowledge and experience in data lineage, data transformation, data modelling, data storage, data access, and data quality assessment techniques
- Capable of investigating, familiarizing and mastering new data sets quickly
- Deep understanding of machine learning algorithms, model training, and evaluation (including but not limited to neural networks, regression, random Forest, K-means, regularization, and precision-recall tradeoff)
- Successful track records of productionizing machine learning models
- Ability to work well with different teams and to deal with ambiguity
- Meticulous attention to detail and genuine care for data integrity, accuracy, and reliability, including the outputs derived from it
- Proactive approach to learning and finding solutions outside the direct area of competence
- Eager to keep up to date and leverage the latest ML/AI technologies
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills (in fluent English), enabling effective reporting and collaboration with team members
- Strong programming (Python, R, SQL) and data modelling skills
- High proficiency in MS Excel, PowerQuery, PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of Tableau, PowerBI, QGIS, and ArcGIS are additional pluses
Experience, Education, & Training
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (or equivalent combination of experience, training, and education) in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in data science, machine learning, and statistical analysis
- 3+ years of experience in building and deploying data science models
- Experience in real estate industry advantageous